- Anixter Brothers was founded by Alan
and Bill Anixter.
- The company made $300,000 in sales
selling industrial wire and cable.
- In 1966, sales were $10 million.
- In 1967, the company went public on the American Stock Exchange.
- In 1968, Anixter wrote the Blue Book
and had 700 employees.
- Anixter added CATV to its inventory.
- Anixter opened additional locations in the United States and Canada
- In 1972, Anixter opened its first European location, Anixter United Kingdom.
- In 1975, Anixter had 1,375 employees and began trading on the New York Stock Exchange (AXE).
- Anixter sold its first BNC connectors, moving it into the data communications market.
- In 1980, Anixter had 2,000 employees.
- In 1985, Anixter employees increased
by 25 percent to 2,500.
- In 1986, Anixter hit $650 million in sales.
- Acquired by Itel, a NYSE-listed holding company.
- In 1989, Anixter released the Levels program, the first written performance specification for data cabling systems.
- LevelsTM specifications were renamed Categories by the TIA standards body.
- Anixter expanded to Latin America, Asia
and the South Pacific.
- In 1991, Anixter tops $1 billion in sales.
- Publicly traded name changed to Anixter International from Itel.
- In 1995, Anixter opened UL certified Interoperability Lab (currently Infrastructure Solutions LabSM) in Mt. Prospect, Illinois. Anixter is the only distributor to have
such a lab.
- In 1995, Anixter had 5,000 employees
- In 1998, Anixter acquired Pacer Electronics.
- In 1999, Anixter sold the integration business.
- In 1999, Anixter recorded $3 billion in sales.
- Anixter expanded into OEM supply chain market through a series of acquisitions
- In 2002, Anixter acquired Pentacon, a fasteners distributor, and also entered the security market.
- In 2003, Anixter acquired Walters Hexagon Group Ltd.
- In 2004, Anixter acquired Distribution Dynamics.
- In 2005, Anixter launched READY! Services
- In 2005, Anixter acquired Infast.
- In 2006, Anixter launched Anixter University
- In 2006, Anixter acquired MFU Holdings S.p.A. and IMS, Inc.
- In 2007, Anixter acquired Total Supply Solutions Limited and Eurofast, SAS.
- In 2008, Anixter acquired World Class
Wire & Cable, Sofrasar SA Camille Gergen, Quality Screws de Mexico SA,
and QSN Industries.
- In 2008, Anixter had 8,000 employees.
- In 2009, Anixter had 8,355 employees.