TECHNOLOGY APPLICATION GUIDE
What is NFPA 130?
What Is It?
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has set forth a range of safety codes for a variety of environments and applications. NFPA 130, Standard for Fixed Guideway Transit and Passenger Rail Systems, provides fire protection and life-safety requirements for underground, surface and elevated fixed guideway transit and passenger rail systems. This also includes storage facilities, train ways, stations, emergency ventilation systems, and communications and control systems.
The purpose of NFPA 130 is to provide realistic degrees of safety in the event of a fire. This is crucial for applications that involve the safety of passengers.
What Are The NFPA 130 Cable Requirements?
It is important to understand that NFPA 130 is an industry code. Products can only be in compliance with or meet NFPA 130 requirements. Official NFPA 130 cable and wire listings do not exist.
NFPA 130 Chapter 12 contains general wire and cable requirements for flame spread, smoke release, temperature and moisture ratings for cable installed in stations and trainways. Vehicle wiring has separate requirements.
Cables must be one of the recognized wiring types per NFPA 70 (the National Electrical Code).
Flame Spread and Smoke Release
Cables are required to comply with one of the following:
Cables need to be rated to 90°C. Communication cables are excluded.
Insulated conductors must be listed for wet locations. Communication cables are excluded.
Fire-resistive cables must meet at least the 1-hour fire rating per UL 2196 for both horizontal and vertical applications. Please see Anixter’s letter on UL fire-resistive cables for details on the approved cable types and manufacturers.
- Our staff of experienced transit experts can help guide you through the product selection and deployment process.
- With a technical sales force and experts on our Engineering Support Services team, we are devoted to railway transit solutions.
- We have the broadest infrastructure offerings to fit your current and future communication, control, power, network cabling, security application and transit cabling needs.
- Our footprint supports our customers’ and suppliers’ operations around the globe.
- Learn about our Railway Solutions.