Raritan Remote Management Checklist
Maximum Uptime of Mission-Critical Applications.
IT staff are increasingly confronted with the challenge of making sure they can facilitate 24/7 uptime of mission-critical applications for staff and customers. But how to maintain servers when physical data center access is not possible (i.e. ‘lights-out’) or when IT admin staff are working from home?
Remote management, enabling IT administrators to work off-site can be of enormous benefit to ensure business continuity and keeping service levels up.
In times when business operations are threatened, remote management tools can help to keep vital IT infrastructure running and to respond to emergencies. Remote management, by enabling employees to work from home, can be of enormous benefit. Raritan recommends that IT and data center managers now review the state of their remote management tools to securely keep mission-critical applications in operation.
They have thus created this checklist to use in your planning:
- Ensure and test that remote management tools are operating properly in terms of employee PCs, laptops, browsers, Java versions and networking. If Java is no longer allowed in your environment, Raritan has Java-free solutions available.
- Ensure that all required staff have access to the tools. Given the possibility of key staff being affected, consider giving a wider group of people access.
- Update remote management tools to the latest firmware levels. Older firmware may not work with today’s OS, browser and Java versions or have security issues.
- Ensure that you have remote management capability to all relevant IT infrastructure including data centers, server rooms, remote offices, facilities and colo’s.
- As networking equipment is as important than your computer infrastructure, ensure you have out-of-band, serial console server access to your critical network infrastructure.
- Ensure that the remote management tools are configured to be accessed from home over the Internet and/or VPNs. Today’s KVM-over-IP switches have many options and can be configured for good performance over the Internet.